[AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

k0occ at comcast.net k0occ at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 12:46:47 EDT 2007

The SX-96 does not have any crystal filters in it. It uses a 50 kc IF for selectivity. Originally Hallicrafters used "SX-  " prfix to indicate that the receiver had a crystal filter. They developed the 50 kc IF and used it for the first time in the S-76. But since there was no "X", the S-76 was not looked upon as so great since it did not have a crystal filter; even though it's 50 kc IF was as selective as their receivers with a crystal filter. So beginning with the SX-96, they used the "SX-  " prefix for their receivers that used the 50 kc IF scheme. Most of their subsequent receivers used the 50 kc IF instead of crystal filters; including SX-100, SX-101, SX-115, SX-117.  They did make a few lower end receivers in the 60's with crystal filters that had the SX- prfix - SX-130, SX140, SX-146.

I don't think Hallicrafters ever made an S-42. They made an SX-42 in mid-late 40's, which was a pretty well respected receiver in its day. They made an S-40 in same time frame; it was marginal, one step above an S-38, mechanically unstable and poor selectivty.

73

--
Ernie, k0occ
Atlanta, GA