[AMRadio] Resonant Choke bleeder

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sat Sep 29 17:07:01 EDT 2007

Hello:

I'm putting together a resonant power supply with a 9 henry choke, and a .2 MFD cap that I bought as a pair from PWD about twenty years ago.

These units saw service in a an AM transmitter, using a pair of 450THs in the final, the same 20 years ago.

At the time I used them, I know I was able to calculate the required bleeder value from information I had at hand.  I don't seem to be able to find that information now.

The transformer is 3700 volts, the choke is 9 henry and the cap is .2 MFD.  I'll be using 70 MFD of oil caps.  I'd like to arrive at about 3300 volts DC.

Three different sites on the internet give me three different values for the bleeder:  66,000 ohms, 78,000 ohms and 89,000 ohms.

One of them may be correct!

I'd like to bleed as lightly as possible, but I sure don't want the voltage to soar.

Any help appreciated.

73, Barrie, W7ALW