[AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Sat Sep 29 17:43:31 EDT 2007

Ellen Rugowski wrote:
> Never Mind!!!! I took a look at it . It looks like a variation on the S-38.
> Nah, I don't think so.
>
> Ellen - AF9J

It's a considerable step up from the S-38: 1 tuned RF stage ahead of the
mixer, 2 IF stages, and AC (xfmr) power supply. Pretty much an update on
the S-20R (same circuit, different cosmetics). More usable than an S-38,
but more of a SWL receiver than a serious communications device.

73,
-Larry/NE1S

P.S. Made my first three CW QSOs as a Johnny Novice on 80M using an
S-20R. I got to hear the whole novice band, all at once!