[AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 29 22:56:19 EDT 2007

Thanks Mark!

In spite of what is said, some of the reflector group, not everybody is like
KC1XX, or K3LR, where being a contesting machine rules above all else.  I've
had times where I've quit operating during a contest, because it was not fun
anymore.  And the comment made about how after 5 reapeats you get a
meaningless "59" report may be true.  But conversely there are many
noncontester who will not even work you if you aren't armchair copy.  Oh
well, I doubt I changed anybody's mind.  Still, I wanted to speak mine.

I wish the high bands would open up again for AM.  The K index is at 3, and
the A index is at 26.  Pre Auroral.  I'd love to do some 6m stuff right now.
I just checked, and there's nothing on 6.  I wonder, I've read that doppler
distortion trashes AM signal during an Aurora.  Have you ever tried AM
during an Aurora?  I know a lot of times SSB is pretty nasty during Au, but
is AM still workable?  Hmmm.

73,
Ellen - AF9J