[AMRadio] Contest signal reports

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Sun Sep 30 11:11:46 EDT 2007

Bravo, Don!  When I ask for a signal report I want honesty.  How else will
we know how we sound?  If I have a hum, click, chirp or anything else I want
to know about it.  Unfortunately, I have peeved more than one contact by
giving honest reports.  If they don't want to know the truth, they shouldn't
ask me.  I think it's a courtesy to our fellow operators to be honest.

73,
Rick/K5IAR

I am not a quarmtester, but sometimes I will work a few stations,
particularly in daylight hours during a 160m cw qrmtest.  The challenge is
to see what kind of signal might make it across unusual distances during the

day, and I don't bother to keep score and usually not even a log.

But I always give honest signal reports.  To me, this business of
automatically giving everyone a 599 report is ridiculous, and defeats the
whole purpose.  IMO, an operator who has to ask for several repeats to get
the essential information, and then gives a 599 report is a LID!

And the same goes for the automatic "five-nines" on  slopbucket.  If they
want my contact, they will have to tolerate my carrier and a real signal
report.

Don k4kyv