[AMRadio] Contest signal reports

Mark K3MSB mark.k3msb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 13:13:26 EDT 2007

There's growing sentiment in the contesting community, which I
support, to delete RS(T) as part of any contest exchange for the
reasons stated in this and related threads.    RS(T) is  not part of
the VHF contest exchanges.

A "real" RST in any QSO, contest or otherwise, is not really
meaningful unless you know the kind of antenna the other station is
running.

In those instances where someone gives me an "honest" signal report
during a contest exchange,  more than likely it stays in the
electronic log as "599" anyway, as "599" appears as the default
reports, and quite honestly it's not worth my effort to correct it.
To the best of my knowledge there is no cross-checking of RST during
the log checking process.

This is why contests that have dynamic data as part of the exchange
are more challenging to me.  This includes serial number, power level,
 year first licensed etc.

To each his own.  Contesting is here to stay and it's a growing
segment of Amateur Radio.

73 Mark K3MSB