[AMRadio] Contest signal reports

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Sun Sep 30 14:59:39 EDT 2007

A number of the ARRL contests and others no longer even use signal
reports as part of the exchange and I think you will more contests doing
away with them. The RST report is not part of the multiplier so most of
us don't care what the signal report is. If I'm using a paper log, and a
signal report is required, "5-9" is on the top line and ditto marks all
the way down the page no matter what the sender says. Signal reports
aren't part of the point equation.

Like the AM community, the contest community is full of very dedicated
contesters. They are nothing more than a "special interest" group just
like AM, but rather than old buzzard type transmissions, their charge is
contacts per minute. Speed, endurance, challenge, and skill are part of
every dedicated type contester.

Pete, wa2cwa