[AMRadio] Parsllel capacitors for C1

John coleman wa5bxo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:42:32 EST 2008

I'm assuming by the large value that C1 is the output or loading capacitor
of a Pi tank but I'm curious as to why the fixed capacitor are in circuit
all of the time regardless of the frequency band.  That part doesn't
computer with me.  Maybe it doesn't cover all the HF bands?

Adding an extra capacitance to the output of a Pi circuit will lower the
value of minimum impedance that the circuit will load to for a single
frequency and coil setting.  But since it is a fixed amount of capacitance
then the highest load impedance that it will load into is lower than before.
For instance if it was designed for 40 to 700 ohms load then it may now be
35 to 625 ohms.  These numbers are not real, just representative and the
scenario is for a single frequency.

John, WA5BXO