[AMRadio] Carrier Current Transmission (was Westinghouse

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 12 18:56:16 EDT 2008

This discussion just brought back a memory -- When I was preparing
for my Extra, an Old Guy ham in Tulsa offered to mentor me. and
invited me to his home with the intent of getting me perfectly ready
fro the exam.

He was an odd character and most of his gear was home-brew and
mounted in racks. I think he was primarily lonely because we didn't
spend much time on the exam prep. But, in the course of my visit, he
related to me that during WWII (for whatever reason, we was not in
the military during the war) he recalled that hams would do odd
things, such as send LF signals down railroad tracks and power lines,
essentially trying to make QSOs with other hams doing the same. He
seemed to indicate that it was mainly CW and if he went into details
about how it was done, I don't recall them.

Has anyone else ever heard similar stories?

Kim Elmore N5OP