[AMRadio] carrier current transmissions

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Apr 13 13:12:53 EDT 2008

Hi Charles,

Back some 33 years ago, my first full-time job after graduating from
university was with a small hydro-electric components manufacturing firm in
Toronto, called "Trench Electric."

One of their specialty items was the manufacture of wave traps, used when
coupling VLF RF signals into the multi-kilovolt high-tension power lines
that traverse the country. Seems hydo companies used RF signal devices
travelling directly through their "right of ways" to trigger remote control
devices along their system...they even communicated orally (or at least,
they USED to, back then) via SSB.

Our company never manufactured the RF generating devices, just the wave
traps. As I recall, the SSB generators were rated at around the 100-watts
level.

The idea was NOT to actually radiate from the HV lines, per se, but rather
to travel directly on them, from point A to point B. I thought that was a
marvelously original concept, until such time as I saw Hams pulling off more
or less the exact same stunt, in specific WW2 era issues of QST
magazine...Radio Amateurs pre-dated the Trench stuff by some 30+ years! Hi
Hi.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ