Roger Basford roger at new-gate.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 12:26:33 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:34:50 -0400
> From: "Robert A. Poff" <wb3awj at comcast.net>
> Subject: RE: [AMRadio] Carrier Current Transmission (was
> WestinghouseTest Meter Unit Type TCT)
> To: "'Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service'"
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>
> Some of the older guys here have told me about using carrier current
> during
> that time.
>
> And some bootleg operation on 5 meters.
>
> Also if I remember correctly in England they had an "no antenna" class of
> license.
> There was a specific prefix for them .... G3 maybe?

Hi Robert,

Pre-WWII here in Great Britain we had the "Artificial Aerial Licence" which
allowed testing of transmitters but only into a dummy load! If you google
Artificial Aerial Licence (note British spelling) you'll find a specimen
licence. Callsigns were in the 2AAA-2ZZZ series but they never got beyond
about 2GAA before the War intervened. After WWII, the callsigns were
re-issued to surviving 2AAA, etc holders but with the G prefix added. The
callsign series G2AAA-G2ZZZ was never completed, for some reason, and after
WWII the G3AAA-G3ZZZ series was issued to new licensees, that sequence ran
until the early 70's. There were no legal UK amateur operations during WWII
apart from "Plan Flypaper", see
http://www.zamboodle.demon.co.uk/rss/flypaper.htm

73

Roger Basford/G3VKM