[AMRadio] Re: Artificial Aerial Licence

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 17:31:15 EDT 2008

W7ALW said:  "in about 1946, I remember the black Ford sedans, with the loop
antennas on the roofs, cruising around the neighborhood listening for the
455 kc IFs of unlicensed radio receivers."

I remember reading an article about receiver licenses from many years ago in
England.  Way back when, they also had big rotating loops on the roof of
their cars but they couldn't receive anything.  What they did was start
these cruises in the hot summer, when all the windows were open, and nobody
had air conditioning, and listen for voices or music coming from a house or
apartment open window.  They would go to the house or apartment and tell the
homeowner that they picked up the radio with their equipment and asked to
see the receiver license.  After a couple of fines, the word was spread that
these cars could pick up their radios and everybody rushed down to get their
license.

73,
Ken W2DTC