[AMRadio] Re: Artificial Aerial Licence

cemilton at aol.com cemilton at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 12:26:49 EDT 2008

 Good afternoon Roger and all................

Your brief comments about licencing and the BBC brought to mind the
certification decals I've encountered on three of my early English
Crystal Sets.  Each of the sets have not only the BBC decals, but the
serial numbers are "stamped" into the wooden cabinets.  The sets were
truly "licensed" and registered when purchased.  One of the crystal
sets had a nice surprise tucked neatly inside.  It was a B.B.C.A.A.
(British Broadcasting Corporation Assurance Association) Wireless
Policy.  An insurance policy that provided limited coverage for damages
incurred by lightning where an outside Aerial was deployed.  This
particular policy was never completed by the owner and is intact.  No
mention of the premium amount was given but it was for a period of six
months.  Coverage was increased when a W.L.A. (Wavelength Lightning
Arrestor) was installed at the same time as the aerial.  The address
for the BBCAA was 825/826 Salisbury House, London Wall, E.C. 2

A small, but fine book on early British Wireless design is "The Cat's
Whisker" by Jonathan Hill.  Some very nice photos and a nice anthology
of wireless broadcasting in England.  It even has the history of the
BBC stations beginning with London (2LO) on 361 metres and continuing
through THIRD PROGRAMME on 460 metres in 1946.

Thanks, Roger, for sharing your comments..........definitely not boring.

Best 73 de W4MIL

Chuck