[AMRadio] Anonymous QST Author suggests that Part 97 requires 6

rev. don w4bws at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 01:38:40 EDT 2008

Adding up the bell labs recommendation is 3300 KHz plus 3300 KHz or 6.6 KHZ
total.
Just because you roll off the 0 to 300 range doesn't make the signal
narrower bandwidth.
So 6KHz is narrower and 7 KHz is more normaL. Of Course, AM transmitters do
not
have 2.7 or 3.1 KHz filters to limit bandwidth as on SSB transmitters. So 7
to 8 KHz is
normal AM transmission bandwidth.
Of course the ARRL would not be agreeing to the 6 KHZ suggested by the
international
organization because the Directors have told us so.
Those using clipping circuits should have an audio filter following the
clipper to reduce
the clipping "noise" not needed for communications.
I find that most of the broad signals I hear on "modern" solid state
receivers is generated
with in the receiver in the noise limiters and other limiting circuits as I
don't copy the same
broadness of the signal on my 75S3.
The Amers got kicked in the pants with the 1500 watt peak power limit
probably due to
the same faulty technical understanding by those making the decisions. Like
having a Extra
Class license these days doesn't mean you have an understanding of theory
and applications,
an engineering degree today doesn't either. With AM the average power due to
voice
characteristics is only about 20 to 30 percent of the total output power of
the amplifier
added to the carrier. Not 4 times the carrier output which is only on
peaks.So a 375 watt
carrier on average is only 490 to 500 watts output.
What would be effective perhaps is to limit the audio bandwidth with
filters, use compression
of 10 to 20  percent and boost the averge output in the final or with a
driver then amplifing
with a  linear that can boost the signal to a higher average output. Or use
a properly adjusted
controlled carrier modulated driver for the linear so the resting carrier is
say 125 to 150 watts and on
average will put out 450 to 500 watts and sound like it is much more power.
Don W4BWS