[AMRadio] Getting on the Air - May 2008 QST

john w9jcm at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 21 15:21:02 EDT 2008

Lets face it there is a big group of people that are "appliance"
operators now I do love the new equipment but I also love the old stuff
IE tubes.
But there is just so many uninformed people out there now making
accusations and having one sided beliefs that it just throws some over
the edge. And they are the ones
that are bad for the hobby. IE a rather large following at the ARRL with
this whole AM bandwidth garbage they spew. I left the so called
organization a few years ago when they were all over
the guys operating ESSB or even Mid FI side band (within 3K). Some were
pissy because you liked to run a full bandwidth at 3K Eqing up some freq
under 200 hz. I recently joined up this year and now regret doing so
after reading the garbage some are muttering about AM operations and
owning old gear. Its just not who I want representing me as a radio
amateur. And the reviews of products WOW I could go on for pages about
that. Lets just say when was the last time you saw them say this is not
a good product in our testing? Its all the dollar and politics enough
said.

So to those of us who play with tube radios, broadcast transmitters and
the new stuff kudos to you keep the old stuff running thats for sure.
Just restored a Hammarlund HQ 129X that I sold to a gentleman in the
midwest and will continue to operate the AM mode of emission with Tube
Type rigs and Solid state type rigs. And lastly I will not be renewing
my ARRL "subscription" (notice not membership lol).