[AMRadio] Getting on the Air - May 2008 QST

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 10:20:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jim Tonne <tonne at comcast.net> wrote:

>  I point out that low volts and LOTS of AMPS can be bad news
>  just as can high voltage.  Put your metal wrist watch band across the
> output of a 48 volt power supply and kiss your hand goodbye.  (Unless the
> supply is severely current-limited)

The part that amazes me is, according to the author's logic or
assertion by association, more - many more of us should be dead by the
sounds of it.

When we didn't have all of the new plastic plug-n-play, then
throw-away gear years ago, we bought older gear routinely. We fixed it
ourselves, or learned on it while trying.

More of us were young then, probably younger than today's average new
ham. There was nothing wrong with it then, in fact we were encouraged
to do so.

Now, I realize in today's 'death of common sense', politically-correct
world of the warm-fuzzies that much less is expected of people
intellectually. But does the author of the original remark really
believe everyone is that stupid, or is he basing it on his own [lack
of] personal knowledge?

Seems like his preference is to scare folks away from it rather than
teaching them to respect its potential. The result further down the
road when more newbs become interested in old tube gear? A serious
lack of knowledge and respect for potentially lethal voltages, having
been coaxed into a false sense of security by the plug-n-play
mentality.

IMO - Better to do it 'right', from the start. The transition to ss
from tube technology would be much easier, and safer.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ