[AMRadio] "My ARRL, Right or Wrong...!!!"

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 25 09:03:33 EDT 2008

Good for you, Ed!  But no change comes without a struggle. Had
Jefferson given up when he saw the markups on his first submission of
the Declaration of Independence, well... Where would we be?

As for tacking AM on to SKN:  I'm a CW fan and SKN is about CW. I,
too, would have resisted any dilution of SKN with anything not CW.
Besides, that would have relegated AM to an "alternative" mode and if
it's an AM event you want, it needs to stand alone as AM.

But there are surely historic events that could be commemorated with
an AM Night. What about Fessenden's first audio transmission? Yes, I
know, it's not well documented and is being challenged, it was
possibly on Dec 20 and again on Dec 24th, but what of it? If not
that, then how about the first "broadcast" transmission by Frank
Conrad, 8XK. That was November 2, 1920. Imagine sponsorship by KDKA!
You probably couldn't use that exact date, as there's no holiday
associated with it, but you're a resourceful lot: improvise.

There are other historical events that you could use. How about
something around Sept 26, 1919, when the Director of the Naval
Communications Service lifted all restrictions on radio amateurs,
opening up ham radio after its ban (and near annihilation) after
WWI?   That would make a nice, Fall event. Or, you could simply
declare an event date and do it then. Do you need an official
sanction by the League? While that would be nice, it isn't a
necessity. If not KDKA, maybe Electric Radio could sponsor the event;
maybe some other body.

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, this is yours only if you want it
badly enough.

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP