[AMRadio] Free Mercury

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 26 20:47:43 EDT 2008

This raises and interesting question: my Dad had a Globe Champion 350
and, originally, it had 866A mercury vapor rectifiers. The originals
became poisoned and would arc, so he replaced them with 3B28 gas
rectifiers (I think these have xenon). Many years ago, longing for
that beautiful blue glow, we tried putting in a pair of what were
supposed to be new (really NOS) 866As. We did all of the right stuff,
letting them cook for about 30 min before applying HV, but they very
soon started to act poisoned with lots of internal arcing and
associated fuse-blowing. and we could never use them, so we went back
to the 3B28s.

Is this a typical problem with 866As? Or, is there a source of good
ones that would net that retro glow? While the 3B28s are probably
better all 'round rectifiers, if a good source of 866As could be had,
I'd consider them should the need arise to replace the 3B28s.

Kim Elmore, N5OP