[AMRadio] 1500 KHz trap for NC-156, one more time...

John coleman wa5bxo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:14:16 EDT 2008

Just a little tidbit of an interesting story, at least for me, HIHI

On a similar incident of BC interference:
Back when I was about 18 yrs old, I was experiencing AM radio interferences
from two stations at the same time.  Now this was a long time ago so some of
the details here may be incorrect such as the exact stations involved.  As I
remember we had two radio stations that were very strong 740 and 790.  These
two stations could be heard simultaneously every 50 KC across the 80 meter
band.  The RCVR at the time was a S85.  When I tuned the stations in on the
BC band they did not appear to be so strong as to over load the front end of
the RCVR nor did adjusting the RF gain or antenna tune have any effect.  I
went up on the roof with a portable SW RCVR and as soon as I got near a guy
wire there was the trouble.  It turned out that the two stations were mixing
together in rusty connections of the guy wires and when I had put the
telescopic pole on top of the house and tied the last guy wire down I just
dropped the leftover 15 feet of guy wire down over the gable and let it
spiral down the edge of the house.  Once I picked up the left over guy wire
the problem disappeared.

John, WA5BXO