[AMRadio] Automated Ole Buzzards?

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Aug 18 12:06:36 EDT 2008

KOMA in Oklahoma City, a 50 KW R & R station used a Schaffer
automation system in the 60s.  All the music was on 10" tapes run on
Ampex playback machines.  The commercials were on carts like these
and they used the Gates carousels.  They were a maintenance headache
for sure.

When the engineer took down the main transmitter for maintenance he
also had to do a lot of head and capstan cleaning.  They used a non
audible tone to control everything and sometimes there would be a
musical note that would last long enough to fire the next sequence
leading to two sound tracks at the same time.  Even today with the
compute control, I hear that happen.  It was mesmerizing to watch
that thing in action.  Two complete systems, one for operation and
one for back up.

Jim/W5JO