[AMRadio] Automated Ole Buzzards?

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Mon Aug 18 15:32:44 EDT 2008

Maybe a bit off topic, but, in addition to the 25hz left channel tone
don't forget that you could also use 25hz on the right channel, and 35
hz tones on each channel.  Add up all the different combinations and you
really have a lot of horsepower!  This was really a slick way to get far
more control capabilities than just a single tone on a single channel.
This scheme was carried over to the early days of satellite delivery and
proved very successful there.  (That sort of thing is done with serial
string commands now.)  Cart machines had primary, secondary, AND
tertiary tones on a third playback head so they were never heard on
playback unless they were recorded TOO HOT  then you'd hear crosstalk.
Those were the days...of denatured alcohol, cotton balls and swabs,
broken brake bands, worn out and misaligned tape heads...

73 de W5SAW, Steve

w4wsz wrote:
> Oh Yes....those wonderful 25 cycle tones on the left chan......
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Peters" <rwpeters at swbell.net>

>>> after. That's as much automation as I'd ever want to have in my
>>> station. And those rotary 8-Track-looking beasts are the reason.