[AMRadio] Automated Ole Buzzards?

Jim Tonne tonne at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 15:42:31 EDT 2008

>> KOMA in Oklahoma City, a 50 KW R & R station used a Schaffer
>> automation system in the 60s.  All the music was on 10" tapes run on
>> Ampex playback machines.

That was absolutely correct.

> But didn't KOMA run all their music off  carts?   That would
> seem to make more sense for a Top 40 station.

No;  each jock cut his own tapes, including intros or exits (only).

>  That would
> seem to make more sense for a Top 40 station.

Added to the customized tapes (each guy had his own set)
each jock also had his own "personality" stuff, which was
on cart.

As I recall news was done typically by a different voice, as
was most of the spot load.

- JimT