[AMRadio] BTW, some of the biggest LIDS are Extras

wa1zuf at juno.com wa1zuf at juno.com
Tue Dec 2 11:26:34 EST 2008

You almost have it..  Putting a tobacco can on the sounder was a common practice. When there was a Bad operator or someone didn't what to copy what was on the wire, they would "Put A Lid On It" ..  Bad ops became known as "lids" and today we still use the term, "Put a Lid On It" when we don't what to hear what someone has to say...   Steve W1TAV

-- "George Brand" <georgeb at i2k.net> wrote:
I love the translation!! The term "Lid" apparently comes from the landline telegraph days, where there would be multiple op's in one room transmitting and receiving different messages at the same time. The sounders sounded pretty much alike so some ops attached a piece of metal (a can lid perhaps)to make theirs different. Older ops sneared at them and called them "lids" ie:inferior op, sloppy op etc etc Keep cruising towards the Extra!! George  wa8sco

Hey, George, I'd agree...'cept that I'm still learning the lingo
and I'm Not quite certain what a LID is. I suspect it means
something along the lines of "Loud, Ignorant Dummy (or Doofus)!" ??

73, Terry Bakowski KC9KEL not an Extra yet