[AMRadio] Propagation

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Tue Dec 2 15:44:32 EST 2008

Normally, I have my HRO 60 set to receive a broadcast station
located about 35 airline miles away.  The station actually plays
music.  But so much for that.  I just got up from my nap and went
out to the shack to align a VFO so I turned on the HRO to listen to
1550.

No station heard so I tuned to 1500, which is another all music
station but about 70 miles away.  Nothing heard again.  Now I live
about 70 miles away from KOKC, the old KOMA.  It is a 50 KW station
non-directional daytime.
Here the signal level is way down from normal.

So I dialed around from 1550 up to 1710 and am hearing stations that
I have never heard before.  Propagation must be way out there at
2:15 PM CDT.  I will bet tonight will be something else on 160 and
75.  Last night 160 was quite and signals were good and solid.  Not
much fading and I worked a couple of 100 watt stations out 250-350
miles who were using inverted L antennas.

It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Jim/W5JO