[AMRadio] BUMMERS! TUBE RADIO OPERATING EVENT... Heavy Metal Rally

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 13:42:10 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM, kenw2dtc <kenw2dtc at comcast.net> wrote:
> KA1KAQ wrote: "Bill again made it clear that the event wasn't meant
> to be a contest"
>
> One gets a point per contact, two points if you work a guy on 80 and 160,
> additional points for a tube rig,  more points if you work more than one
> state etc, etc.  plus a discussion of a WINNER and the requirements for
> being a WINNER.

He also awarded 'points' for SWL reports, including best-sounding
audio and so on. Nothing you can do to garner those points beyond
having a strong, pleasant sounding signal on the air, heard and
reported by many. He's been pretty insistent about it being a 'rally'
vs contest, with the WINNER being more like a 'best of show'.  It's
true that you'll always have a few who will trample you to get there
first, but I don't think that was Bill's intention. For further
clarification though, I'd suggest looking up some of his posts on the
subject on amfone.net, Ken.

> I admit to being an old guy, but it sounds like a contest to me.

's ok. I won't tell if you don't. (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4