[AMRadio] AM nets

AirRadio AirRadio at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Feb 2 07:21:50 EST 2008

Here in the UK this Saturday morning on 3615 khz we have our usual AM net, well this morning there were over 26 stations calling in over a 2 hour period, a year ago you would have been lucky to hear half that many, equipments vary from home brew to commercial old and modern, and military surplus new and old. Some of the signals are just quite astounding and so much help available from all on the net. Are the nets in the US growing or have they now got to a point where the numbers are stable. The resurgence of AM in the UK has meant that there are now at least 4 dedicated frequencies on 80m and a few on top band of regular use and the numbers are definately growing.  I have not heard of anyone using the AM frequencies on 20 or 40 although there is a frequency of 7.142 which is sometimes used. The other interesting thing that was mentioned is the 'Operation Atlantic hop' involving ws19 sets x Atlantic, on the 19th Feb that was achieved, albiet in CW, that is a great feat of radio skills. 73 Max