[AMRadio] RE: AMRadio Digest, Vol 49, Issue 18

Clarke, Tom AIR4.0P NATOPS frederic.clarke at navy.mil
Tue Feb 5 15:29:01 EST 2008

We had the ATC (paired with an ARR-41 or ARR-15 as I recall) in some of
the P-2Vs in the late 60s-early 70s along with an ARC-38A to talk to the
SSB airways stations.  It was an impressive and noisy event to
watch/listen to the autotune spin the dials on the ATC/ART-13 along with
the ARR-15 Rcvr!!  That autotune was loud sitting between those R-3350
engines, so I imagine it must be deafening in your typical hamshack!

When the squadron graduated from the P-2 to the P-3, we upgraded to a
pair of ARC-94 (Collins 618T)transceivers with an ARR-41 (so-called mini
R-390) installed so we could listen to time signals or the BBC!  We had
ARR-41s in our C-130s up until a couple of years ago (the old F models,
not the newer Ts or USAF Hs.)

Everytime I go past Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, I just imagine what a
goldmine of ART-13s/ATCs/ARR-41s/ARC-94s/etc must be out there in the
field!  I wonder what the breaker yards outside the gate do with all the
BA radios they remove?

73 Tom/W4OKW
USN Ret