[AMRadio] My latest toy has arrived, an ART-13A & Survey

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Tue Feb 5 19:33:26 EST 2008

Not an ART-13 story but something maybe similar.

In the late 70's I was a contract engineer for NASA. I was on the NASA C-141
Airborne Observatory project. We flew this aircraft above 43,000.

One of the Misson Directors was also the Director of the Medium Altitude
Missions Branch. When he was the Misson Director he would use the 50W(?) HF
transmitter tuned to the 11M(CB) just for kicks. He used the handle "Big
Bird". He would tell the truckers his rig was a "TEN WHEELER" with FOUR
STACKS and a TEE TAIL!

We never did get a citation.

I knew WWII radio ops (Europe) that claimed they would often send their
strike reports on the emergency frequency.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"