[AMRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Exam Question

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Thu Feb 7 15:03:58 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:05 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Exam Question

> > From: "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
>
> > I also don't have any interest in the cell phones operate.
> >
> > So I will just stay in the General segments.
>
> Are you serious?  There are questions about CELL PHONES in the Extra Class
> exam?
>
> What in the name of common sense does that have to do with amateur radio?

Don & All:

A few years ago, due to the fact that a group of friends on 75M moved down
to the extra area of the band, I upgraded to extra.

The exam date was set, so I decided I'd wait 'til two weeks before then and
start studying.  Well, my mother died just about two weeks before the exam,
so I ended up not studying for the test at all.

I took the test anyway, and passed with an 86% score.  Not good, but
considering I hadn't cracked a book, not bad.

I was disturbed by the questions on the test.  I think the extra test has
been "dumbed down".  It's all multiple-choice and some of the questions are
strange, to say the least.

When I first took an amateur radio test, in 1950, there were 100 questions
and all were essay, no multiple choice.  Also, I was required to draw
several schematics relative to receivers, oscillators and transmitters.

> OTOH, how many questions are there about AM-related topics: modulation
> transformers, class-E, pulse duration modulators, etc?

NONE!

> If what you say is true, I wonder how long before we'll see questions
about
> iPods and gaming consoles!

Probably soon.

> Don k4kyv