[AMRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Exam Question

Rick rickb at tx.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 17:35:30 EST 2008

Hi Bob,

Ham radio has changed considerably since I was first licensed in 1961, but
it is still exciting to me.  I have found to be among the AM community is
like the "good old days" when we built our own equipment or converted
military surplus for ham use.  Granted, there is a lot of digital stuff
going on and many, if not most, of the newer hams prefer SSB and/or digital
modes, which is great.  I don't do a lot of talking on the radio, but I do a
lot of listening and the AM groups are pretty much into the same topics now
as they were back when...  You certainly don't need to upgrade from General
Class to have a blast on ham radio, especially AM.  With the new frequency
allocation it is nice to be able to slide down the band where it's nice and
quiet when 75 meters is hopping, but, that's just a matter of choice.  I
say, enjoy that General ticket, it's just as valid and carries just as much
fun as does the Extra.

73,
Rick/K5IAR

But we sure don't need an Extra ticket to operate a 2M or 70cm HT thought a
repeater.

I just don't have much interest in trying to memorize questions about MOON
BOUNCE or METOR SCATTER to pass the Extra exam. It's not that important to
me. The PNW AM group only operates on 3870. My General ticket is good enough
for that.

I would like to see some 40M or 20M AM activity.

I don't understand why people don't use 10M AM for local operation during
this  period of the solar cycle. I guess no one is interested in local
activity other than that done on the 2M repeaters.

I guess the nature of ham radio has just changed too much from what I
remember from the 50's and 60's. It's not as interesting as it was back
then.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,