[AMRadio] Re: Carrier with one sideband

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Feb 7 18:22:14 EST 2008

> From: Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com>

> A number of the early phasing type transmitters/exciters and SSB adapters
> allowed you to operate on "AM" with just one sideband. So, only operating
> DSB AM would really be an issue.

>> From: "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>

> Any of the Heath SSB rigs (SB-100/101, SB-400/401, HW-100/101) could be
> modified to Vestigial SB. SSB with carrier reinserted.
>
> Bob Macklin
> K5MYJ

SSB with the carrier re-inserted is not the same thing as what we know as
AM.  It is nothing more than SSB with poor carrier suppression.  Reception
with an envelope detector inherently generates severe distortion at
modulation levels beyond about 20%.  This mode is useful only with a
receiver with BFO that locks onto the "pilot carrier" to eliminate frequency
error in SSB reception, a technique that has in fact long been used in
commercial services, with the carrier level reduced to about 20 dB below
p.e.p.  At modulation levels low enough to avert this distortion, known as
"quadrature distortion" it is very wasteful of power since the sideband
power becomes a very small percentage of total radiated power.  Those
amateur SSB rigs that transmit "AM" with carrier and one sideband sound like
CRAP.  Unless the receiving station is equipped with a proper receiver with
PLL carrier reinsertion, which includes very few amateur receivers, it is a
totally useless mode beyond simply getting someone's attention when they are
receiving in AM mode, in order that they may switch the receiver over to SSB
to receive the signal in normal SSB fashion.

This problem is inherent to the principles of modulation, and has nothing to
do with the quality of the equipment used.  Transmitting AM with one
sideband is NOT a solution to the problem nor is it even a satisfactory
option.

73,

Don k4kyv