[AMRadio] Amateur Radio Exam Question

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 7 19:39:03 EST 2008

Hi Bob,

I took my General in the mid 80s, my advanced in '93, and my Extra (purely
on a lark) back in '94.  Yes they were multiple choice back then, but, they
still had their tough moments.  I had to take my Advanced twice.  I took it
cold in Nov. 1992, figuring the electronics I had in college in the 80s for
my Nuclear Engineering degtree would carry me through.  I was so stale on
that stuff, I flunked.  I'm not a big fan of memorization,and I had no
published pool of the test questions, so I had to crack the books to do some
studying/memory refreshing.  I borrowed an Ameco study guide from the local
radio club, and went through the sample questions, representing each section
of Element 4A (the Advanced written exam).  Any sections I felt weak on, I
went back and studied the subject matter on (like I said above - no
memorization; I don't care for that, and I'm not very good at it), until I
was comfortable with it again.  The result - I passed with only one or two
wrong, on the second attempt.

When I took the Extra (out of boredom, because the test session I was
helping VE at, had a huge surplus of VEs), I passed the 20 WPM (yes,
contesting really does help your code speed), and flubbed up because of
esoteric stuff on the written exam.  I used the same study method I used for
my Advanced (although I needed nowhere near as much time and effort), and
passed my Extra.  In a way, I found the Extra to be a disappointment
technical subjectwise. It seemed to be more about the code, with some
refresher questions from other license class exams, and esoteric stuff (like
the voltage for a black or white color/image signal in fast scan TV; or, at
what altitude is a transponder considered to be a spart of space
communications?).  Other people I knew who'd taken their Advanced & Extra
Class back in the 80s & 90s felt the same way -  the Advanced was the hard
one.   I wonder if the difficulty factor changed after the slimdown from 5
to 3 license classes.  You see, I used to be a VE, and I remember even in
2001, an OT local club member (he got his General in the 60s), bombing his
Advanced test.

73,
Ellen - AF9J