[AMRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Exam Question

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:23:04 EST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 8:38 PM, Bob Macklin <macklinbob at msn.com> wrote:
> Here is another question from the NEW Extra exam:

> Which of the following describes how the loading capacitor and tuning
> capacitor are to be
> adjusted when tuning a vacuum tube RF power amplifier that employs a
> pi-network output
> circuit?

Well Bob, at least this and the previous example you posted show that
the sky really isn't falling after all. I've never cared for the
'mulitple guess' exams or some of the modes, but at least we still
have the privilege of holding a license and enjoying amateur radio.
What we choose to do with it will be the determining factor.

A much larger concern to me is the apathy among AMers and probably
other modes as well (although there seems to be plenty of SSB
activity). Most nights it's tough to find any AM activity on the bands
beyond 1885 or the 75 meter ghetto, complete with jamming. Seems folks
can find plenty of time to piss and moan or stir the pot on here, but
locating that power switch and tuning dial is a most formidable
obstacle. Kudos to the few who make a regular effort.

Below 3800 is slowly filling up with SSB groups claiming frequency
ownership for their 'groups'. Maybe we'll be fortunate enough to keep
another small 'window' area like 75m, where AM signals can be found
4-5 kcs apart. That way folks will know where to look for activity and
not have to actually create any.

Meantime, we can troll the web for things to post online, complain
about the ARRL, FCC, SSBers, newbies, or whoever/whatever else. In the
end, we remain our own worst enemy. Hmm...speaking of pissing and
moaning....  (o:

Hope to hear more of you on the air over the weekend. Very little
static last night, nice stable conditions for a change. Here's hoping
it stays that way for a while, and that more folks find their way back
to the airwaves.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ