[AMRadio] 40M AM (Was: re: Amateur Radio Exam Question)

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:53:09 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 10:34 AM, JT Croteau <jt.n1ese at gmail.com> wrote:

> Todd, or anyone, what is the activity like on 40M AM these days?  Is
> there any?

Absolutely! Most activity takes place mornings-mid afternoon on
weekends (I work weekdays, so can't comment beyond Sat-Sun) when the
band starts to get noisy with international broadcast stations.
Sometimes it's very late in the day, and occasionally band conditions
are good at night. Noise and interference affects us east coast types
more and earlier than the gang in the midwest.

7.280-7.295 has regular activity, though some reports have been made
of AM activity in the new, expanded phone portion as well. I've just
never gotten down there.

> When I get my AM station on the air, I will likely be
> sending a fair amount of time on 40 (if there is activity) as my
> current antenna is a resonant 40M dipole.

Exactly the route I took when returning to the air in 2006 after 11-12
years away. Spent about 2 months on 40 until getting the old 75m
dipole up in late April.

Ashtabula Bill hangs out on 40 a lot, had a very nice chat with him
and W0VMC a couple weekends back. Planning to be on there over the
weekend, if you get things working by then. If not, give a yell later
if you want to do some on air testing as I'm not terribly far from
your location.

73, Todd  KA1KAQ