[AMRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Exam Question

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Fri Feb 8 11:59:13 EST 2008

I  posted those two questions because they were related to what we do.

The PNW AM group seems to only operate early evenings on weekdays. I have
not seen any weekend activity by this group. They operate on 3870.

I am told the operate early and shut down before the band goes long. So all
there is the ground wave. I am in a bad area surrounded by pretty good
hills. The base of the Cascades. When I first moved here 5 years ago I could
copy many of the stations very well. But now what ever activity there is
down in the noise. I hope things improve when we get back up in the next
solar cycle.

I have never heard any AM on 40M. I have been told to monitor 7295. I have
been doing that when I have an interest. But I think the West Coast AMers
should grab 7195 for there new home. It is in the General segment and soon
the SWBC stations will be gone.

Five years ago I also was hearing the West Coast AM group on 14,286 in the
early evening. I never hear any AM there but I do hear SSB there.

I assume that a lot of my listening problems are due to the fact that we are
at the bottom of the Solar Cycle.