[AMRadio] formula values

Bill Fondren bill.fondren at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 8 20:13:43 EST 2008

I attended the USAF Radio school at Scott AFB in the early 50's.   The color code easily becomes a second language. It got me an A in one of electrical engineering courses as I finished my degree after discharge.  I sorted out the resistors for the prof  for his lab example each time and I know that was the reason.  It amazed him I knew color code.

  I think "dumbing down" of the material in the tests started in the 60's.  I worked as a Broadcast Transmitter Engineer while finishing college.  A licensed engineer was required to be on duty at the transmitter site. Loney job but it put food on the table.   Sometime in the 60's, if I remember correctly, stations were allowed to go remote and no engineer was required at the transmitter site.  DJ's were sent in droves to schools that taught the 1st  class phone test. They taught the question and the answer--nothing else.   They read the meters, signed the log etc. and hoped nothing happened.   A lot of stations were lucky to have one person that was a real engineer.

  Anyway  a very interesting subject.   Bill   K5PML   the guy with a baby gator  BC500T