D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Feb 9 11:20:03 EST 2008

 > Yep, and the old body-end-dot resistor code, colored dots on the old
> postage stamps, mmf used instead of pf on schematics, plenty to
> remember. Not a big deal if you use it regularly. If not, it can be
> quite a challenge at times.
>
> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

I believe I learnt the old body-end-dot resistor code along with one that
uses the stripes on the body.  Both codes were given equal coverage in the
handbooks of  the 60's era and before.  I  haven't checked the recent ones
to see if they still list both codes.

OTOH, the codes used on postage stamp mica caps is dauntingly confusing.
There are several different ones, and when you pull out a mica cap from the
junkbox there is usually no way to tell which code they were using.  I use a
little hand-held solid state capacitance meter for the purpose.  I always
check capacitance on any capacitor even if I am able to figure out the
nominal value.

I have never understood why they went to that stupid numerical equivalent of
the color code (example:  a tiny "101" stamped on the body instead of
brown-black-brown stripes or dots).  Is this supposed to be some kind of ADA
accommodation for the colour-blind?  Not only are the numbers often
impossible to decipher; they rub off easily when components are tumbled
around in the junkbox.

Don k4kyv