Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:15:44 EST 2008

D. Chester wrote:
> I have never understood why they went to that stupid numerical
> equivalent of the color code (example:  a tiny "101" stamped on the
> body instead of brown-black-brown stripes or dots).  Is this supposed
> to be some kind of ADA accommodation for the colour-blind?

Easy there, Don  ;-)

Otis/K5SWK is color blind, to some extent.  Back in around 1988~89, Otis
was planning a trip to come visit Koby/K5MZH(sk) in San Antonio, TX and
wanted to build a little hearing-aid to copy the mail on the 500 mile
round trip road-trip.

He was just about done with building the thing (it was only a converter,
using 12v tubes, coils and can's and such) and Otis was on his knees
with a VOM and a couple of piles of resistors; ones he'd checked, and
ones he hadn't.

Along about that time, here comes ol' John/WA5BXO sauntering through the
radio/TV shop that he and Otis were partnered on, and sees Otis on his
knees, and asks "what in the hell are you doing down there?"

Otis said "I'm looking for a (whatever_value) resistor to finish up my
mobile receiver!"
John got his diddle stick out, twirled through the piles a couple of
times and brought out a number of whatever value was needed and said
"here ya go!"

Otis glanced up at John with 'the look', and said 'Do you know I've been
down here for durn near an HOUR looking for these things?  And you come
along in 20seconds and find a half dozedn!"
;-)

I can see where the ADA might have had a hand in putting numbers on
caps/resistors, etc...

BTW, Speaking of Otis..

On the 7th of February, Perry/W5KGZ, Wayne/W5DWP, John/WA5BXO,
Geoff/W5OMR, Jeff/N5ECP and BJ/WB5PKD made the pilgrimage to Humble, TX
and invaded a Golden Corral Restaurant to celebrate the 85th anniversary
of Otis' birth.

If anyone is interested, contact me off-list and I'll send a link where
pictures of the event can be viewed, after I get 'em  transferred over
from  my laptop and camera.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,