Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Sat Feb 9 13:35:41 EST 2008

As I remember the numerical markings they started with DM (Dipped Mica) that
did not work well with color coding.

The first were large enough to have the full value marked on them. But as
they got smaller the 3 digit code took over.

Today a new 100pf is marked 101, But there are still lots of old 100pf
marked 100 around in surplus stock. Those are the kind that give me trouble.

The 3 digit code on an 0805 or 0604 resistor does not do me a lot of good.
If it gets out of it's package the thing I can do is measure it.

In the early days of surface mounting we had a clumsy assembler that dropped
the drawer wit several values of surface mount resistors. She got to measure
each one and put them back in the drawer. It may have been cheaper to just
order more parts but we could not afford to wait for them. That was in early
1985.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,