[AMRadio] Using Heath SB 610 Monitor Scope to monitor modulation

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Feb 11 11:17:01 EST 2008

Hi John,

The SB-610 has been an absolutely invaluable aid here at my stations, in
both the CW and voice modes (AM, as well as SSB)...

All I do when monitoring 'phone transmissions here  is to place the 'scope
into a trapezoidal pattern.

I adjust the vertical gain such that a carrier makes the line about 2/3 the
height of the screen, or so, and the horizontal gain is set so that the
modulated triangle is about as equilateral as it can be...

When modulating 100%, the pattern should, indeed, be a full, equilateral
triangle.

One thing that I neglected to do until YEARS later was to pull the top RH
knob out --- that's the one marked "CLAMP" --- whenever using the
trapezoidal feature: by doing this, there is no image on the face of the
scope until you key-up your transmitter. If you leave the knob "in" all the
time, you'll eventually get a spot "burned" into the inside face of the CRT,
like I did with mine here...

The clamp feature keeps the point deflected off-screen into the RH side of
the CRT --- as soon as you hit the transmit button on your rig, the line
zips out from the right, to the centre of the tube, like magic...!

Chalk one up on the importance of reading the instructions first, not later!
Hi Hi.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

. I can't recall the name of the control because the scop