[AMRadio] Ranger driving SB220

Patrick Thompson wa4tukhr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:36:53 EST 2008

How did you go about getting the RF drive from the Ranger down to a level
usable by the SB220? I'm thinking about something similar to get to the
200-250 watt carrier level (or 800 to 1000 pep AM). I'm guessing the amp
won't need much more than 10-15 watts drive (40 to 60 watts pep AM) leaving
a little headroom.

I thought about a homemade pad but that's a lot of heat to throw away. Maybe
a 3db pad and turn the drive down a little?

I could lower the screen voltage but it would be nice to have the rig full
power when barefoot.

Can you get by with just lowering the drive and microphone gain?

Pat
wa4tuk