[AMRadio] Using Heath SB 610 Monitor Scope to monitor modulation

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Feb 12 03:13:51 EST 2008

I use a highly modified HO-10, which is basically the same scope in a
different package.

I used to use the trapezoid pattern all the time.  Mine is wired up with the
t/r relay system to deflect the spot off the tube when the transmitter is in
standby mode.  But I found that with the trapezoid that the unmodulated
carrier eventually burnt a vertical line on the scope tube, even though it
registered only briefly between syllables.  I now use the envelope pattern
to monitor modulation, and use the trapezoid only to check modulation
linearity.  In evelope pattern, the horizontal base line appears only on cw,
during key-up conditions.  I work some cw, but not enough to burn a line on
the scope.  I  like to monitor my cw waveform just like I monitor my
modulated waveform on phone.

Don k4kyv