[AMRadio] Ranger driving SB220

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Tue Feb 12 09:15:31 EST 2008

I see this discussion every so often and wonder something.  If you lower
the plate voltage or current the final (s) draw, what is happening to
the impedance the modulation transformer sees?

The design of a class C final looks at the plate load impedance of the
final.  If you alter that, the modulation transformer sees another
impedance and may not work properly.  Some instruction manuals point
this out in them.

The manual for my Globe Champ says to load to 320 ma. plate current @
1kv.  In another paragraph it says to load the plate current to no less
than 275 ma. for the reason specified, plate load impedance.

So it seems to me that one would want to load a driver to the proper
output designed into the rig.  If you need less driving power then
dissipate with the attenuator like Johnson built or build an exciter for
the power level you need.  Another approach I have seen is to feed the
transmitter into a dummy load with a T connector and use the other T
output to go the an amplifier input.  The HT 32/37/44 are low power and
can be used easily to drive an amp.  They only give about 25 watts out
which is about right for most amps.

The bad thing about sloppy modulation from an exciter is that a Class A,
AB or B amp will just amplify it and you really don't want that going
out over the airwaves.

Jim/W5JO