[AMRadio] Replacement Tubes

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Wed Feb 13 12:00:13 EST 2008

JT Croteau wrote:
> Some misc. tube questions..
>
> Can 6L6GC be substituted for 6L6GB?

Sure, no problem.

> Are Chinese tubes worth the cost savings they generally bring?  I need
> to replace a pair of 6L6GB's and a 6146B.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Chinese 6L6-types, and didn't
realize they were manufacturing a 6146B. I did by a pair of Chinese
812As, and they seemed to work just fine.

I rarely buy new tubes, myself, I've found used tubes purchased at
hamfests from vendors or individuals are (much) more often serviceable
than not.

There are several places NOS & used tubes can be bought on line; one guy
who I've found to be reasonable and fair is Electron Tube Enterprises in
Southern Maine, close to both of us (insert standard "no association
disclaimer here). He's has a web page; I'm sure Google will find him for
you if you're interested.

73,
-Larry/NE1S