[AMRadio] RE: MODULATION POWER REQUIRED

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 14 22:01:13 EST 2008

Reply by Jim, WD5JKO:

John, and Group,

Your PEP definition agrees with references from other sources. My math
is a little weak, but doesn't this suggest that the 375 watt carrier
limit we arbitrarily impose on ourselves is a low ball value, and with
the definition below can't we run more carrier at 100% modulation and
still meet the 1500 watt PEP output limitation? I seem to recall that
Don, K4KYV had some pretty persuasive arguments countering the
presumption we adopted years ago. This was back when the 1000W DC input
"Grandfather Rule" was expiring for AM.

http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-027/_3903.htm

peak envelope power (of a radio transmitter) [PEP, pX, PX]: The average
power supplied to the antenna transmission line by a transmitter during
one radio frequency cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken
under normal operating conditions. [NTIA] [RR] (188)

http://www.vk1od.net/VSWR/W4.htm
Peak Envelope Power 'pX' (s1.157) means the average power supplied to
the antenna transmission line by a transmitter during one radiofrequency
cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken under normal
operating conditions.

John, WA5BXO said:
For PEP it should read:
"Well, PEP is defined as the AVERAGE power over at least one RF cycle at
the most powerful point of the envelope."

73,
Jim
WD5JKO