[AMRadio] RE: MODULATION POWER REQUIRED

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Feb 15 04:46:53 EST 2008

Most of us stay somewhere within the ballpark of the so-called "legal
limit", and worrying about an occasional voice peak that might jump a little
over, every now and again for a milliseconds or two during the course of an
entire old-buzzard transmission, is MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.  Is everyone
that picky and consientious in regard to exceeding the posted speed limit
when we drive, something that can actually put our own or someone else's
life in danger?

We need to be more concerned about overmodulation, flat-topping and other
improper conditions that generate spurious distortion products and do actual
harm on the bands by causing unnecessary splatter and interference beyond
the limits of our normal channel width.  (Not the same thing as the higher
frequency audio components that occur naturally in our voice signals.)

Don k4kyv