[AMRadio] Re: MODULATION POWER REQUIRED

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Feb 15 09:54:06 EST 2008

Don,

   It seems that we have defined PEP power pretty well:

>"Well, PEP is defined as the AVERAGE power over at least one RF cycle at
> the most powerful point of the envelope."
 Now, since we do not speak with sine waves, the average "power point of the envelope" is going to be less than 0.636 (sine wave average) of the peak value. With many voices the average might be 0.2 to 0.5 of the peak. Doesn't this mean we can increase the peak power until the PEP as we have defined it hits 1500 watts? It seems that many of us confuse peak power with Peak Envelope Power. The definitions are different. If I have this correct, then unprocessed voice peaks can be increased until the PEP legal limit is achieved, and the carrier level might be a lot more than 375 watts. Maybe the KW1, or Johnson Desk KW at Hi-Tap are still legal?

Regards,
Jim