[AMRadio] Wanted: Receiver - New England

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 16:30:36 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Wanted: Receiver - New England

> For even less money a R-4B or even a R4-A would be quite good for your
> immediate needs.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

I'll agree with that. From the time I graduated college (Aug. 1987), until
Jan. 1993 (when I got my Advanced license), I had an R4B (along with a
T4XC).  It was a great receiver. At the time I didn't realize that (I wanted
something smaller, and more modern).  Ever since the late 90s, I have
regretted getting rid of my R-4B.  It wasn't until I recently put an ICOM
IC-740 my neighbor gave me (It was a non-runner, but the fix was relatively
minor - just a burned out resistor on the regulator board) on the air, that
I had a receiver that was as quiet as my old R4B.  If I had the cash to
spare, I'd get my hands on an R-4 or R-4B.

73,
Ellen - AF9J