[AMRadio] Wanted: Receiver - New England

Brett Gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizon.net
Sun Feb 17 15:05:49 EST 2008

The Drake R4A or B is a good pick, although a bit narrow for
hifi AM.
The NC300/303 are good, and the SX101.

All the Collins stuff is overpriced for what you get, but the 51j series
are not bad, the pre SSB era stuff is better, after ssb came out
the AM position was an afterthought.

The R390/R390a were very good, lots of nice AM features like the buffered IF
output for the scope, line audio output, muting, etc, but they can be a
bear to work on and keep going, and you dont want to jump
between 160 and 10 meters much.
They are now expensive.

Before I built my own receivers, I used the R390a mostly.

Nothing modern is worth a crap in MY book, the FT102 was poor,
the icom 756 pro and pro3 are not great, the TS440 was not
very good, the icom 735 was not real bad, at least the
passband tuning worked on AM.

You need to set priorities in want you want in a receiver:
Fidelity,
Bandwidth choices,
Looks/style,
Ease of repair,