[AMRadio] 7160

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 21:56:51 EST 2008

There is still a little AM activity there, usually on Saturday or Sunday
afternoon near 2:00 PM.

There are a few guys in southwest Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas that have
semi-regular weekend schedules.

I remember the hay day of 7160, especially on Saturday mornings and Saturday
nights.

There was John, W5MEU with a fine sounding BC610 from San Antonio, plus a
guy named Tom, whose call I don't recall, but who had one of the best
signals from a Ranger I've ever heard. There was also a guy named Paul from
Illinois.

Going back into the late 70s, I think the last time I heard Fred, W6QS, was
on 7160 on a winter evening. Fred was loud wherever you heard him. I've
never seen anything written about his station, but it would make a great
subject for someone who knew him.

I'm omitting many other calls from that 7160 group, but there were a bunch
of guys there at least every weekend, and sometimes through the week as
well.

Mike Duke, K5XU